New Paltz Opera House/ Barnaby’s Restaurant New Paltz, NY
Completed in 1873 by the New Paltz Literary Society, the Opera House was the center of New Paltz cultural life for over 100 years. Sadly, by the late 1980s the structure had suffered from neglect and the unfortunate removal of the monumental stair leading to the second floor performance space.
BA was hired to restore the building and convert it into Barnaby’s Restaurant. Roofing, masonry, and building services were all replaced or restored. Renovations to the interior included a new lobby, bathrooms and ADA work. A new monumental stair was designed to recall the original.